search this blog

8.18.2012

personalized dishes

plate, bowl or mug + sharpie + 350 degree oven for 30 mins =


I saw this idea floating around Pinterest, so I thought I'd give it shot. I will admit, it didn't turn out as great as I wished it would have, but it's still a functional serving piece (with a little homemade touch).


____________________________________________________

Here's what you'll need to make your own:


plate/bowl/mug (from the dollar store)
design of choice (I used this as inspiration)
sharpies
carbon paper (optional)
350 degree oven

____________________________________________________

[1] I started by roughly tracing my design onto my plate with carbon paper
(you could definitely free hand something if you wish)



[2] decorate your plate with sharpie until you are happy with your design

[tip: if you make a mistake, the sharpie will wipe right off the plate - 
although the longer it sits, the tougher it is to get off].


[3] bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Allow to cool.




Voila! Personalized dishes.


Photobucket
[p.s. this post may be linked to any number of these blogs]

18 comments:

  1. Adorable little bird. I think this dish looks great & who knew it was so easy to do?!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - surprisingly easy! Thanks for the sweet comment.

      Delete
  2. This turned out so cute!! I really love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So adorable! I've been wanting to try it too. Thanks so much for the great tutorial and for sharing at our pin'inspiration party C:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this idea! This will be so wonderful for giving neighbors cookies and for the holidays!! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to give this a try!! Your birdie is so cute!! I've been told that the porcelain pens work better, same process. Thanks for sharing at Show & Share! Featuring you in tomorrow's party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea and intend to try it with my 8-year-old artist! So cool!
    Would love if you stopped by to link this up to my party happening now!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! What a cute & fun project for your 8-year-old! I'm stopping over now to check out your link party. Thanks for the invite.

      Delete
  7. Saw your feature at Vintage Gwen - love it!! Definitely going to try this! Where did you swipe up that cute square plate?

    Jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet message. I actually got it at the dollar store... go figure! I was afraid to spend too much money on a nice plate in case it didn't turn out :) You might also be able to find a cute white plate at a HomeGoods, Ross or TJ Maxx. Have fun!

      Delete
  8. i love this! i just whipped up some mugs over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. how does it wash? I've heard rumour the sharpie method comes off in washing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far... I have only hand washed them. I will have to stick one in the dishwasher as a test and let you know :)

      Delete
  10. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your plate project! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/personalized-plates/

    If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be answered/responded to by email. Please make sure your email address is linked up to your account so I can reply. Thanks for leaving me some love :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...