search this blog

7.14.2012

love birds



Christmas has come early this year (or late - depending on how you look at it). My husband and I started a tradition a couple years ago that involved naming our Christmas tree. We got the idea from dear friends of ours...and since we name everything else in our lives (I drive a car named Betty White) we knew that we could keep this tradition alive.


For the past 7 months, I've had a chunk of "Belinda" hanging around my craft room waiting to be transformed into something neat. I had a few ideas in mind, but settled on an ornament - it seemed like a pretty easy project to start with considering I had never crafted with a Christmas tree before.

[1] I started by asking my husband to kindly cut me a few discs. I knew I wanted more than one (in case I messed up and had to start over).


[2] Next, I warmed up my wood burner. I had gotten it at Michael's (with a 50% off coupon) when I was planning our wedding. I used it to make table numbers and other little decorations. It works great and is nice to have on hand for random projects (such as this).

photo by heather brincko

[3] Then I free handed a little "love bird" design onto my best disc. I thought this would be cute to symbolize the Christmas tree from the year we got married.


[4] I was nervous to start, so I practiced a few techniques on some scrap wood to figure out the best way to go about burning my design.


[5] After practicing for a few minutes, I started on my actual piece. Before I knew it, I was done! I added a little eyelet hook and some twine to finish off my new ornament.





Now all I have to do is wait for December to roll around. In the mean time, I'll start thinking of "C" Christmas tree names... 

16 comments:

  1. I used to save chunks of our trees too but I never knew what to do with them. This is the cutest! And the fact that you name your trees is so fun!

    I would love it if you would share this at my new Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

    http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/prudent-projects-smart-solutions-linky_13.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweeeet! Love it. Hugs! P.S. my new giveaway started, stop by and get your entry in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute is that??? I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for linking up! hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. super cute! you're inspiring me to buy a wood burning kit. :)

    xo-Kimberly {allons-y kimberly}

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet memory-love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! A wood burner is definitely worth the investment :) this project is fun because your options are endless and you can pick a fun memory from the year for your ornament. I already have ideas for this years tree. Is it Christmas yet? :) Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this! I think I need a wood burner now. =) Also, I think I may be your new stalker. Haha. Loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie! There are so many possibilities for a wood burner - in case you needed an excuse to go buy one :) I can't wait to get my hands on our Christmas tree this year. I'm glad you like my blog!

      Delete
  9. And I love this too!

    A branch fell from one of our trees out front and I wanted to do something with it rather than just throw it away. I love this. I am going to have my husband cut it up for me this weekend!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this ornament is adorable... love the little birds :)
    found your blog through the thirty handmade days link up... keep up the great work!

    angie @ http://oopsiemaizie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Shannon! This is super cute! I may have to buy a wood burning kit!! Hope you are doing well! Hugs! Amanda (Jedi Craft GIrl)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable, I love the birds and the meaning behind your design. My hubby and I got married in 2011 also! You have definitely inspired me to make one of my own!

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be answered/responded to by email. Please make sure your email address is linked up to your account so I can reply. Thanks for leaving me some love :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...