search this blog

8.29.2013

chicken & asparagus rolls


You know those days where you're just extra hungry for something REALLY good. When I have one of those days, it usually involves crescent rolls (or something equally yummy). Since crescent rolls on their own are not a very well balanced meal, I decided to try my hand at a new recipe. I got the inspiration for these rolls from a combination of recipes I found on Pinterest:



The first are these mini french dips. They’re quick and easy and are so yummy. My husband and I eat them about once a month (yum)! Then I saw this chicken & asparagus roll-up recipe . I'm sure these are very yummy but I thought I could tweak them to include crescent rolls. Crescent rolls are just the best (carbs = love). I know, I know...carbs are the enemy, but they’re oh so good.

Without further ado... Here’s what you’ll need to make your own batch:



Chicken & Asparagus Rolls

* recipe yields 8 rolls *

rolls:
1 package crescent rolls
4 slices of provolone/mozzarella cheese
16 asparagus spears

chicken:
1-2 chicken breasts
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup soy sauce

spread:
¼ cup mayo
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp dijon mustard
pepper (to taste)
a pinch of garlic salt

[1] Start by prepping your chicken. Cut your chicken breasts in half (to thin them out a bit) then slice into small, easy to eat strips.



[2] In a large ziplock bag, combine the extra virgin olive oil and soy sauce. Mix together well then add chicken. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (a lot of times I prep this the night before). I made 3 chicken breasts because I like to have leftover chicken for salads and wraps.

[3] Now it’s time to prep the asparagus. Roast the asparagus with a little bit of olive oil and salt and pepper for about 8 -10 minutes @ 400. Allow to cool for a few minutes. They should still be a bit crunchy.

[4] Cook your chicken (skillet, grill... your choice). I chose to use a skillet and cooked the pieces for a few minutes on both sides until done all the way through.


[5] Now it’s time to make the mayo spread. This goes on the crescent rolls during “assembly.” In a small bowl, combine the mayo, lemon juice, dijon mustard, pepper & pinch of garlic salt. Mix really well.



[6] Now that all the pieces and parts are prepped [whew - a little time consuming but totally worth it, I promise]...it’s assembly time! Roll out the crescent rolls on a cookie sheet then layer in this order and roll up like a normal crescent roll:



[6] Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes (or until rolls are golden brown). Allow to cool for a few minutes before digging in.



You know what’s great about this recipe? Not only is it yummy... but if you prepped extra chicken, you’re already halfway to your next meal (it’s like killing two birds with one stone). Don't forget to download the printable recipe card.

Photobucket
[p.s. this post may be linked to any number of these blogs]

6 comments:

  1. I want to try this recipe! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I'm so going to make this. It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, I'm so going to make this. It looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks yummy - Ethan would love these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love just about anything wrapped in a crescent roll!

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be answered/responded to by email. Please make sure your email address is linked up to your account so I can reply. Thanks for leaving me some love :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...