search this blog

2.19.2013

diy cake stands


As you might have noticed from some of my other wedding related posts (here, here & here) we didn't have a very traditional wedding. I'm not a big fan of cake... and I couldn't justify spending LOTS of money on a pretty cake that would have to be served by our caterers. We wanted a more casual, "help yourself" feel so we ended up with cupcakes. It was such a good choice - they were a hit! (and totally affordable).

To make them look a little prettier, I made cake stands - lots and lots of cake stands!
______________________________________________
Here's what you'll need to make your own:
glass plates
candle holders
epoxy glue or E6000
______________________________________________
[Step 1]:
Lay out your collection of plates and candle holders until you find configurations you like. Don't be afraid to do 2 or 3 tiers!

[Step 2]:
Take your cake stands to a well ventilated area, lay down some newspaper to protect the surface you're working on, and begin glueing your candle holders to the underside of your plates. Allow the plates to cure AT LEAST for the time the epoxy suggests (if not longer).

[Step 3]:
Practice your table settings a few days before the wedding (or other party).


[Step 4]:
Enjoy your fun and unique display of delicious treats.

 

Photobucket
[p.s. this post may be linked to any number of these blogs]

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful idea! I will have to remember this when I help with decorting and such at my church. Your dress is gorgeous :) Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just visiting your link party and saw this post. I used to do this for my daughter's tea parties but never glued them. This is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, can be so elegant but inexpensive too!

    What gorgeous wedding photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This so rocks! I just *LOVE* my cake stand that I made even though I don't have many occasions to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cake stands are awesome!! And the wedding looked like so much fun!

    Thanks for linking up at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality! See you tomorrow evening! :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be answered/responded to by email. Please make sure your email address is linked up to your account so I can reply. Thanks for leaving me some love :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...